The September 27, 2016 edition of WWE SmackDown aired live from the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH.
– Randy Orton comes out to the ring to open up the show. Orton grabs the mic and calls out Bray Wyatt to get his ass in the ring and face him. The lights go out and we see Bray appear on the big screen to cut a promo on Orton. Wyatt sings “He’s got the whole world in his hands” to Orton then the video feed cuts off. Orton leaves the ring and heads to the back.
– Dean Ambrose is shown in the back arriving at the arena. Ambrose cuts a promo on both AJ Styles and John Cena, saying that Cena is old news, and tonight he’s going to crush AJ tonight.
– The Ascension & The Usos def. Heath Slater, Rhyno, & American Alpha: The Usos came out with their new heel entrance music and video. The members of American Alpha take turns delivering offense to both Usos in the opening minutes of the match, with Jordan hitting a series of suplexes on Jey. Eventually Jimmy starts working on Gable’s bad knee again. Shortly after, Connor tags in and continues working on Gable’s bad knee. Gable tries to tag in Jordan, but The Ascension pulls him off the apron. Rhyno answers with a clothesline off the apron onto the Ascension, while back in the ring Gable gets the hot tag to Slater instead. Slater clears the ring and hits a flying knee on Jey Uso. Slater follows up with a neckbreaker for a near-fall, while the other competitors in the match take turns throwing each other out of the ring. Jimmy Uso tags in and superkicks Slater, then Jey kicks Slater in the knee. Jimmy puts Slater in a single leg Boston Crab and Slater taps.
– Randy Orton is shown looking around in a dimly lit room in the back of the arena. He walks away, and the camera turns around to reveal that Eric Rowan was standing in the corner as Orton walked off.
– Back from commercial, Bray Wyatt is shown in an unnamed location telling Orton to come find him.
– John Cena is shown arriving in the building and does a brief interview where he’ll get back the WWE Championship at No Mercy, whether it’s from AJ Styles or Dean Ambrose.
– Natalya & Carmella def. Naomi & Nikki Bella: Naomi and Carmella start off with Naomi getting the better of Carmella and sliding between her legs then spanking her. The action goes to the outside and Natalya hits a Michinoku Driver on Naomi on the floor at ringside. Back in he ring, the heels stay in control of the match and Naomi starts selling her right knee. Carmella hits a Bronco Buster on Naomi in the corner for a two count before tagging back in Natalya for a double Northern Lights suplex. Nikki gets the hot tag and starts cleaning house, but when she goes for a fireman’s carry on Carmella, Carmella pokes her eyes. Natalya runs in and distracts Nikki, then Carmella rolls her up from behind for the win.
– Randy Orton is in another dimly lit area in the back where he sees “clues” from Bray Wyatt. There are messages written in red paint on the wall, and a cardboard cut-out of Orton behind a door. Behind another door is Eric Rowan, but Orton doesn’t walk in or see him before closing that door and leaving.
– The Miz comes out to the ring for his homecoming in Cleveland. We see a highlight video of his career, then The Miz cuts a heel promo on his hometown. The Miz introduces his parents, and then Dolph Zigglers parents. Miz tells Zigglers parents that they created a world class loser, and with that, Dolph Ziggler comes out. Ziggler yells at The Miz for talking to his parents, then says The Miz cheated to beat him both times. The Miz says the history books won’t reflect that he cheated. Miz tells Ziggler to give up his career, then walks up the ramp. Ziggler says he loves wrestling but it doesn’t love him back, and appears to be getting teary-eyed. Ziggler tells Miz to put the title up one more time, and Ziggler will put up his career. Miz accepts, and says he’ll do it at No Mercy.
– Becky Lynch comes out, but before she can make it to the ring she gets attacked from behind by Alexa Bliss. Alexa says she deserves the Women’s Title belt more than Becky, then walks away.
– We see Bray Wyatt in an undisclosed location again, taunting Randy Orton. Orton slowly rises up from behind Wyatt wearing the sheep mask. Wyatt turns around to see him and Orton lays him out. Orton puts the sheep mask back on and sits down. There are some weird video edits, and the segment ends with a shot of Wyatt sitting in a chair.
– AJ Styles is shown in the back shining his WWE Championship belt. AJ reminds an interviewer that he both beat up, and beat, both Cena and Ambrose. He says last night all eyes were on the Presidential debate, and tonight all eyes will be on The Phenomenal One.
– AJ Styles (c) def. Dean Ambrose: John Cena is on commentary for this WWE Championship match. Ambrose drops AJ right off the bell and starts pummeling him with right hands. He clotheslines AJ to the outside early on and starts beating him down on top of the announce table. Back in the ring, AJ hits a flying elbow, but Ambrose stays in control with a series of clotheslines and a backbreaker. AJ goes for the Calf Crusher, but Ambrose gets out and puts him in the Texas Cloverleaf. AJ gets out, and Ambrose knocks Styles to the floor at ringside. Ambrose follows up with a suicide dive on AJ, then follows up with an elbow strike off the top rope onto AJ all the way down on the floor. Back in the ring, AJ works his way back in the match and starts focusing on the left leg of Ambrose. AJ hits a series of elbows and chops, but Ambrose stops the momentum with a swinging neckbreaker. AJ hits a forearm strike to the face, then Ambrose gets near-fall with a reverse powerbomb. AJ hits a fireman’s carry into a neckbreaker for a near-fall of his own. Ambrose dodges a splash in the corner, then crotches AJ on the top rope and clotheslines him off. AJ comes back with a Pele kick then goes for a springboard 450 splash off the top rope, but Ambrose rolls out of he way. Ambrose comes off the top with an elbow on Styles for a two count. AJ hits a knee to the face of AJ, then turns his attention to John Cena who he cheap-shots while he’s sitting down. AJ rolls back inside and Ambrose pins him, but Cena gets on the apron and distracts the ref. Ambrose lays out Cena, then AJ rolls up Ambrose from behind for the win.
– After the match, Ambrose goes for the Dirty Deeds on Cena, but Cena escapes and hits the Attitude Adjustment on Ambrose. AJ hits the ring and tries to attack Cena, but Cena gets AJ with an Attitude Adjustment too. Cena holds up AJ’s WWE Championship belt in the air as SmackDown goes off the air.
– Spoilers For RAW, HHH’s Stance On Kurt Angle’s Return, More