Cashman, Berge, and Steveson named to first team; Kerkvliet named to third team; McKee and Allar Honorable Mention
Irvine, CA – May 26, 2017 – ASICS America Corporation is pleased to announce the 32nd annual ASICS All-America Wrestling Team, and honors seniors Yianni Diakomihalis (145) of Hilton (N.Y.) and Chase Singletary (220) of Blairstown Township (N.J.) Blair Academy and juniors Gavin Teasdale (126) and Gable Steveson (285) of Apple Valley (Minn.) as repeat First Team selections.
The ASICS All-America Team, selected by a nationwide panel of wrestling experts, is the only national all-star team for which wrestlers enrolled in all four high-school grades are eligible.
“This team represents the best of the best in our schools today,” said Neil Duncan of TW Promotions wrestling agency for ASICS America. “We are proud to have these young men, with their talent and work ethic, representing us. They are clearly the World and Olympic champions of the future.”
The ASICS All-America Team includes eight wrestlers at each of the 14 high school weight classes – the First, Second, and Third Teams and five Honorable Mention selections. To be considered, a wrestler must have competed during the scholastic season, and all team members were selected at the weight class at which they competed, or would have competed, in their state tournament or the National Prep Championships this year.
Singletary finished his career with five titles – two National Prep championships and three Florida state titles – and Diakomihalis, Daton Fix (132) of Sand Springs (Okla.) Charles Page, Vitali Arujau (138) of Syosset (N.Y.) and Brady Berge (160) of Kasson-Mantorville (Minn.) all won four state titles.
Teasdale, a three-time AA state champion and the First Team selection at 113 pounds in 2016, led a Keystone State sweep of the top three spots at 126. Seniors Austin DeSanto of Reading Exeter Township and Spencer Lee of Murrysville Franklin Regional took the Second and Third Team spots, respectively, after DeSanto’s 6-5 victory over Lee, a three-time First Team member, in the AAA state final. Diakomihalis, the First Team selection at 138 in 2016, was unable to complete a bid for a fifth state title due to injury. Singletary and Steveson also moved up a weight after earning First Team honors at 195 and 220, respectively, in 2016.
This year’s First Team was dominated by upperclassmen – nine seniors and five juniors.
For the first time since 2004, no freshman or sophomore was voted to the First Team, and no freshman made the elite squad for the first time since 2011. Teasdale and Steveson were two of the five juniors selected, with the others at the first three weight classes: Malik Heinselman of Castle Rock (Colo.) Castle View at 106, Aaron Cashman of Shakopee (Minn.) at 113 and Patrick Glory of Morristown (N.J.) Delbarton at 120.
In addition to their 42 scholastic titles, the 14 First Team members combined to post three Junior National and nine Cadet National titles, and five are World Team members. The Second Team owns 31 state or National Prep titles, and the Third Team accumulated 30. The Second Team owns eight Cadet National titles and three World Team berths, and the Third Team one Junior National and five Cadet National crowns, along with two World Team berths.
Three states, Minnesota, New York and Pennsylvania, each had three First Team selections. Cashman, Berge and Steveson were Minnesota’s selections. Arujau, Diakomihalis and senior Louie DePrez (182), a second selection from Hilton, represented New York. Teasdale and seniors Cameron Coy (152) of Harrison City Penn-Trafford and Mikey Labriola (170) of Bethlehem Catholic were Pennsylvania’s selections. New Jersey had a pair of First Team selections, Glory and Singletary. Completing the First Team: senior Jacob Warner of Washington (Ill.) at 195.
Eleven high schools had multiple wrestlers selected, led by Lombard (Ill.) Montini and Orlando (Fla.) Lake Highland Preparatory, each with three. Blair Academy, Delbarton, Hilton, Albertville (Minn.) St. Michael-Albertville, Bound Brook (N.J.), Clovis (Calif.), Malvern Preparatory (Pa.), Nazareth (Pa.) and Roseburg (Ore.) each had two selections.
Pennsylvania placed 20 wrestlers on the squad, with Ohio (12), Illinois (11), New Jersey (10) and California (nine) rounding out the top five. Pennsylvania placed 10 on the top three teams, followed by California, Minnesota and Ohio, with four each. Minnesota had six overall selections and New York had five. The 112 wrestlers selected come from 28 states.
2017 ASICS All-America Team
- 106 Malik Heinselman Jr Castle View HS Castle Rock, CO
- 113 Aaron Cashman Jr Shakopee HS Shakopee, MN
- 120 Patrick Glory Jr Delbarton HS Morristown, NJ
- 126 Gavin Teasdale* Jr Jefferson-Morgan HS Jefferson, PA
- 132 Daton Fix Sr Charles Page HS Springs, OK
- 138 Vitali Arujau Sr Syosset HS Syosset, NY
- 145 Yianni Diakomihalis* Sr Hilton HS Hilton, NY
- 152 Cameron Coy Sr Penn-Trafford HS Harrison City, PA
- 160 Brady Berge Sr Kasson-Mantorville HS Kasson, MN
- 170 Mikey Labriola Sr Bethlehem Cath. HS Bethlehem, PA
- 182 Louie DePrez Sr Hilton HS Hilton, NY
- 195 Jacob Warner Sr Washington HS Washington, IL
- 220 Chase Singletary* Sr Blair Academy Blairstown Township, NJ
- 285 Gable Steveson* Jr Apple Valley HS Apple Valley, MN
* – denotes repeat selection
- 106 Kurt McHenry So St. Paul’s School Brooklandville, MD
- 113 Jesse Vasquez Fr St. John Bosco HS Bellflower, CA
- 120 Julian Chlebove So Northampton HS Northampton, PA
- 126 Austin DeSanto Sr Exeter Township HS Reading, PA
- 132 Roman Bravo-Young Jr Sunnyside HS Tucson, AZ
- 138 Sammy Sasso Jr Nazareth HS Nazareth, PA
- 145 Jarod Verkleeren Sr Hempfield HS Greensburg, PA
- 152 Quentin Hovis Sr Poway HS Poway, CA
- 160 Layne Van Anrooy Sr Roseburg HS Roseburg, OR
- 170 Travis Wittlake Jr Marshfield HS Coos Bay, OR
- 182 Travis Stefanik Sr Nazareth HS Nazareth, PA
- 195 Michael Beard Jr Malvern Preparatory Malvern, PA
- 220 Cohlton Schultz So Ponderosa HS Parker, CO
- 285 Seth Nevills Jr Clovis HS Clovis, CA
- 106 Julian Tagg Fr Brecksville HS Broadview Heights, OH
- 113 Nicolas Aguilar Jr Gilroy HS Gilroy, CA
- 120 Michael McGee Sr Plainfield East HS Plainfield, IL
- 126 Spencer Lee Sr Franklin Regional HS Murrysville, PA
- 132 Zack Donathan Sr Mason HS Mason, OH
- 138 Austin Gomez Sr Glenbard North HS Carol Stream, IL
- 145 Josiah Rider Jr Grand Junction HS Grand Junction, CO
- 152 David Carr Jr Perry HS Massillon, OH
- 160 Hunter Bolen Sr Christiansburg HS Christiansburg, VA
- 170 Kaleb Romero Sr Mechanicsburg HS Mechanicsburg, OH
- 182 Jelani Embree Sr Lincoln HS Warren, MI
- 195 Greg Kerkvliet So Simley HS Inver Grove Heights, MN
- 220 Noah Adams Sr Independence HS Coal City, WV
- 285 Nick Boykin Sr Riverdale HS Murfreesboro, TN
Honorable Mention (listed in alphabetical order)
- 106: Eric Barnett, Jr, Hortonville HS, Hortonville, WI; Lucas Byrd, So, LaSalle HS, Cincinnati, OH; Anthony Clark, Fr, Delbarton HS, Morristown, NJ; Cody Craig, Sr, Skowhegan HS, Skowhegan, ME; Antonio Lorenzo, So, Del Oro HS, Loomis, CA.
- 113: Dylan D’Emilio, So, Genoa Area HS, Genoa, OH; Sam Hillegas, Fr, North Hills HS, Pittsburgh, PA; Joey Melendez, Jr, Montini HS, Lombard, IL; Antonio Minnino, Jr, Gateway/Woodbury HS, Woodbury Heights, NJ; Matt Olguin, So, Buchanan HS, Clovis, CA.
- 120: Beau Bartlett, Fr, Wyoming Seminary Prep, Kingston, PA; Jakob Camacho, Jr, Danbury HS, Danbury, CT; Malik Johnson, Jr, Christian Brothers College HS, St. Louis, MO; Patrick McKee, Jr, St. Michael-Albertville HS, Albertville, MN; Brody Teske, Jr, Fort Dodge HS, Fort Dodge, IA.
- 126: Brandon Courtney, Sr, Desert Edge HS, Goodyear, AZ; Justin Mejia, Sr, Clovis HS, Clovis, CA; Nicholas Raimo, So, Hanover Park HS, East Hanover, NJ; Alex Thomsen, Jr, Underwood HS, Underwood, IA; Real Woods, Jr, Montini HS, Lombard, IL.
- 132: Mitch Moore, Jr, Graham HS, St. Paris, OH; Jason Renteria, Sr, Oak Park-River Forest HS, Oak Park, IL; Zachary Sherman, Sr, Blair Academy, Blairstown Township, NJ; Joseph Silva, Jr, Lake Highland Preparatory HS, Orlando, FL; Jacori Teemer, Jr, Long Beach HS, Long Beach, NY.
- 138: Ben Freeman, Sr, Walled Lake Central HS, Walled Lake, MI; Kaden Gfeller, Sr, Heritage Hall HS, Oklahoma City, OK; Tanner Litterell, Sr, Tuttle HS, Tuttle, OK; Max Murin, Sr, Central Cambria HS, Ebensburg, PA; Zachary Van Alst, Sr, Montgomery Catholic HS, Montgomery, AL.
- 145: Dominick Demas, Sr, Coffman HS, Dublin, OH; Navonte Demison, Sr, Bakersfield HS, Bakersfield, CA; Frankie Gissendanner, Jr, Penfield HS, Penfield, NY; Brayton Lee, Jr, Brownsburg HS, Brownsburg, IN; Will Lewan, Jr, Montini HS, Lombard, IL.
- 152: Stephan Glasgow, Sr, Bound Brook HS, Bound Brook, NJ; Shane Griffith, Jr, Bergen Catholic HS, Oradell, NJ; Brock Hardy, Jr, Box Elder HS, Brigham City, UT; Jaden Mattox, Jr, Central Crossing HS, Grove City, OH; Austin O’Connor, Sr, St. Rita HS, Chicago, IL.
- 160: Jake Brindley, Sr, Lake Highland Preparatory HS, Orlando, FL; Kyle Cochran, Sr, Paramus HS, Paramus, NJ; Trent Hidlay, Jr, Mifflin County HS, Lewistown, PA; Mekhi Lewis, Sr, Bound Brook HS, Bound Brook, NJ; Georgio Poullas, Sr, Canfield HS, Canfield, OH.
- 170: Jake Allar, Sr, St. Michael-Albertville HS, Albertville, MN; Andrew Berreyesa, Sr, Reno HS, Reno, NV; Marcus Coleman, Sr, Ames HS, Ames, IA; Anthony Mantanona, Sr, Palm Desert HS, Palm Desert, CA; Jacob Oliver, Sr, Huntingdon HS, Huntingdon, PA.
- 182: Nino Bonaccorsi, Sr, Bethel Park HS, Bethel Park, PA; Ryan Karoly, Jr, Malvern Preparatory, Malvern, PA; Kordell Norfleet, Sr, Marian Catholic HS, Chicago Heights, IL; Bryce Rogers, Sr, Lake Highland Preparatory HS, Orlando, FL; Matthew Waddell, Sr, Gilmer County HS, Ellijay, GA.
- 195: John Borst, Sr, Sherando HS, Stephens City, VA; Patrick Brucki, Sr, Carl Sandburg HS, Orland Park, IL; Gavin Hoffman, Jr, Montoursville HS, Montoursville, PA; Brandon Whitman, Jr, Dundee HS, Dundee, MI; Jacob Woodley, Sr, North Allegheny HS, Wexford, PA.
- 220: Jared Campbell, Sr, St. Edward HS, Lakewood, OH; Chei Hill, Sr, South Dade HS, Homestead, FL; Haydn Maley, Sr, Roseburg HS, Roseburg, OR; Quinn Miller, Sr, Archer HS, Lawrenceville, GA; Mason Parris, Jr, Lawrenceburg HS, Lawrenceburg, IN.
- 285: Anthony Cassioppi, Jr, Hononegah HS, Rockton, IL; Brendan Furman, Sr, Canon-McMillan HS, Canonsburg, PA; Trent Hillger, Sr, Lake Fenton HS, Linden, MI; Brandon Metz, Sr, West Fargo HS, West Fargo, ND; Kevin Vough, Sr, Elyria HS, Elyria, OH.