The #1 St. Cloud State University wrestling team will open its dual match season on Thursday, Nov. 30 with a 7 p.m. match against Southwest Minnesota State University at Halenbeck Hall in St. Cloud, Minn.
The match will mark the beginning of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference season for the Huskies, which have won the last six consecutive league titles in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo.
The match has also been designated as Youth/Middle School/Prep Night with all youth in grades K-12 being admitted to the match for just $1. This is a great opportunity to introduce a youngster to the the excitement of NCAA Division II wrestling at St. Cloud State. Tickets for the match are available at the gate on the day of the match. As always, SCSU students are admitted to all regular season matches for FREE.
Listen to the match on the KVSC Sports Stream with John O. Peterson on the call!
SCSU PROBABLE STARTERS VS. SMSU
125: #1 Brett Velasquez (4-0), Junior
133: Adam Hedin (3-0), Freshman
141: #4 Jarred Oftedahl (7-0), Senior
149: #3 James Pleski (5-1), Sophomore
157: #1 Larry Bomstad (5-0), Senior
165: Travis Holt (7-2), Senior
174: Kolton Eischens (8-2), Sophomore
184: Austin Rake (5-2), Junior
197: #8 Vince Dietz (7-1), Junior
285: #12 Lawrence Phillips (10-0), Junior
Click Here: camiseta boca juniors
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES
- This marks the 12th season that Steve Costanzo has been the head coach at SCSU. He owns an impressive 169-28 career record at SCSU. His teams have only lost seven dual matches since the start of the 2010-11 season. Over that time, SCSU has won 130 dual matches.
- Lawrence Phillips paces the Huskies this season with a 10-0 record, while Jarred Oftedahl is 7-0, Larry Bomstad is 5-0 and Brett Velasquez is 4-0.
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest DII Coaches Poll released last week. Individually, SCSU’s Brett Velasquez was ranked #1 at 125, Jarred Oftedahl was ranked #4 at 141, James Pleski was ranked #3 at 149, Larry Bomstad was ranked #1 at 157, Vince Dietz was ranked #8 at 197 and Lawrence Phillips moved into the rankings with a #12 spot at 285.
- Returning national qualifiers from the 2016-17 SCSU team that placed second at the NCAA DII championships include Brett Velasquez (125), Jarred Oftedahl (141), James Pleski (149) and Larry Bomstad (157). Velasquez, Pleski, and Bomstad all earned All-America status last winter. Both Velasquez and Bomstad are two-time All-Americans.
- SCSU will complete its weekend of wrestling action on Dec. 3 with a trip to the Newberry Duals in Newberry, S.C. SCSU will wrestle against UNC-Pembroke, Coker, Limestone, and Newberry at the tournament. Of note, former SCSU graduate assistant coach Cy Wainwright is the head coach at Newberry College. Both Newberry and Limestone received votes in the latest DII national poll.
- The Huskies have been among the best in NCAA DII wrestling over the past several seasons. In 2017, SCSU placed second at the NCAA Division II championships and it placed first at the NCAA DII championships in 2015 and 2016. The Huskies also won the prestigious NWCA DII National Duals in 2017 and placed first at the 2017 NCAA DII Super 3 Regional.
- SCSU wrestling fans should stop by Buffalo Wild Wings in St. Cloud, Minn. at Noon on Wednesday, Nov. 29 for the SCSU Sports Chat with Mick Hatten. His guests for the show are scheduled to include assistant coach Brady Wilson along with wrestler Vince Dietz. If you can’t make it to the live show, fans can follow the show live online at www.sctimes.com.
View More College News